The Bonny Method of Guided Imagery and Music (GIM) was developed in the 1970’s by music therapist Dr. Helen Bonny and was inspired by Consciousness Raising, Client-Centered, Jungian and Transpersonal theories.
GIM is a gentle music-centered psychotherapy that uses sequences of classical music to stimulate imagery and journeys into different levels of consciousness. Exploration of deep inner states facilitates the integration of mental, emotional, physical and spiritual aspects of well being for healing, transformation and growth.
In a session lasting up to 1.5 hours, you and your therapist discuss your current life situation, set goals for your work together, and establish a focus for the session. After a guided relaxation, you listen to music selected by the therapist to address the themes that arose. You verbalize the images including feelings, sensations, memories, and any awareness evoked by the music, allowing them to become a vehicle for exploring deep states of consciousness. Your therapist interacts verbally with you to help you develop and deepen your imagery experiences. At the close of the music, your therapist assists your return from the relaxed state, explores metaphors and reinforces your insights that arose during the exploration.
• Gain new perspectives on issues
• Access feelings of empowerment & confidence
• Heal past and current relationship issues
• Re-parent the inner child and develop secure attachment style
• Integrate and heal abuse & trauma
• Access positive resources & strengthen self-esteem
• Access experiences containing healing
• Receive transpersonal & spiritual inspiration
• Awaken creativity
• Work through grief & loss
• Express buried emotions
• Find clarity for problem solving & decision making
• Explore meaning & purpose in life
Copyright Noele Bird .
Noele offers group workshops and retreats using AUDIO DIVINA (sacred listening), a music-assisted contemplative practice developed by Mary Rankin, Spiritual Director, Clinical Counselor and Fellow of the Association for Music & Imagery.
“I have observed that the psyche will let go more deeply into silent prayer if it knows the way back into everyday awareness. Appropriate music can be a trustworthy guide in this process.”
-Mary Terry Rankin
AUDIO DIVINA music programs are approximately 20-30 minutes in length with 5-15 minutes of silence programmed into the sequence. Music selections are from Western classical and sacred music traditions.
The programs are designed to:
1. Engage the mind.
2. Provide gentle guidance toward silence, dropping off thoughts, words, and feelings.
3. Enhance the experience of silence.
4. Call the listener out of silence, giving time to gather what has been experienced there.
The Audio Divina programs can be created by purchasing and downloading individual pieces on iTunes, from Patricia Van Ness or from other online music sites. Simply download each piece of music to your device, create a playlist in the order directed, and insert the desired amount of silence* to create your own Audio Divina program.
AUDIO DIVINA has been used successfully by a variety of individuals and groups, including...